Sunday, November 25, 2012

Autumn Pot Roast

Ever since I got my crock pot I've really wanted to make a pot roast! I wanted to make one with some seasonal veggies, so I read a bunch of different recipes and came up with this. Originally I wanted to use red potatoes also, but I ended up having too many veggies. Next time instead of 2 sweet potatoes, I'll probably just add one and substitute couple small red potatoes.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
3 lbs. beef chuck, fat trimmed
2 tbsp oil
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, peeled and cut into long pieces
1 butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
1/2 lb. green beans, ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
28 oz. beef broth (I used a 32 oz. container and ended up with a lot of gravy, you can use a lot less depending on how much gravy you want)
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp cold water



Trim the fat off the beef. Season beef on all sides with salt, pepper, and thyme.


On a plate, sprinkle flour evenly. Coat all sides of beef with flour.


Heat oil in a large skillet and add beef.


Brown on all sides.

Meanwhile, in a crock pot, layer the chunks of onion.


Top with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and garlic. Add rosemary and bay leaves.


Put seared beef on top.


Top with green beans and carrots.


Pour in beef broth.


Cover with lid and set on low for about 8 hours, until meat is tender and falling apart. 
(I set mine for 8.5 hours but it only took about 7.5 hours)


Spoon out meat and veggies into a large dish, draining liquid as you scoop.



Break up large pieces of meat to disperse throughout.


In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until completely dissolved. Ladle liquid into a sauce pan. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil, until thickened.


Pour gravy over pot roast.



I served mine with a salad, wild rice, and hot biscuits. Perfect meal for a chilly evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment