Monday, August 20, 2012

Filipino Chicken Stew (Chicken Adobo)



This was a staple dish during my childhood, probably because my parents were so hardworking and this dish is easy to prepare and only requires one pot to cook it. Now when I make it, I make a big batch and eat it for leftovers over a week. The pic above was from a different time that I made it, since I forgot to take a final picture this time around... 

I have been recently told by my mother, after several Pinoys out there denied this recipe's authenticity, that this version is Batangueno style (from the great province of Batangas where my mom was raised).

Ingredients:

2 lb. chicken, traditionally thighs and drumsticks
2 tbsp. oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic
2 cups water
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar 
6 tbsp soy sauce 
2 bay leaves 
salt & pepper to taste 


Not pictured due to my poor planning: bay leaves, salt & pepper. I also usually use fresh garlic but I didn't have any, so I used some jarred minced garlic.

Heat oil in a pot, add chicken and brown on both sides. I typically use drumsticks and thighs, but I did not have any thighs in my freezer. I do recommend using both thighs and drumsticks for a nice variety.


Add onions and garlic and cook until caramelized. 


Add water, vinegar, and soy sauce.


Add potatoes.


Season with salt and pepper and add bay leaves.


Stir and stew for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Serve over sticky rice

I eat mine in a bowl and soak up the sauce in the rice. The chicken should fall right off the bone. Yum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment