Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Teriyaki Chicken


This has always been one of my favorite dishes, but I hated using the pre-made marinades or sauces because they always came out too salty. I had to work on this recipe for quite some time before I was happy with it.

Ingredients:

1 c. soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
20 oz. pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
2 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (2-inch) piece of ginger root, peeled and minced
3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
1 broccoli crown, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)


In a saucepan, stir the soy sauce, black pepper, pineapple juice and brown sugar until completely dissolved. Add garlic and ginger. Bring to a boil.



In a small ramekin or bowl, mix together cornstarch and water. Add to sauce and cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.


In a saute pan, heat oil. Add onion. Add chicken and cook until browned.


Add broccoli and carrots on top. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.



Add red and green peppers and pineapple.


Pour sauce over the top and mix well.


Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Cook until desired tenderness (I like my veggies crisp, so only a couple minutes).


Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment