Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Frosting


These cupcakes always seem to be a winner when I bring them to parties. When I first made them they seemed to be all anyone requested from me. I hadn't made them in awhile so I brought em back for a New Year's party because I had some overripe bananas I needed to use up.

For the cupcakes:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3 large bananas (the riper the better)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

For the frosting:
2 tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp creamy peanut butter



Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar together.



Crack egg over this, beat slightly with a fork, then mix into butter and sugar mixture.


In a small bowl, mash bananas. I like to leave some little chunks of banana to keep the cupcakes moist. My bananas yielded about 1.5 cups of mashed bananas. Anywhere from 1 to 1.5 cups is good.



Mix bananas into butter mixture.


Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix.



In another medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.



Add flour mixture to butter mixture.


Line muffin tins with paper liners and fill about 1/2 full with batter.



Bake for 12-15 minutes until a fork inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.


While cupcakes are baking, make icing.

Cream 2 tbsp butter with sugar and vanilla.


Add milk.


Add peanut butter.


Mix together until creamy and smooth.

After cupcakes have cooled, ice with the buttercream frosting.



I had some leftover peanut butter chips, so I put one in the center of each cupcake.


Recipe yields about 2 dozen cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment